Thursday, October 26, 2006

Undecided yet

Opening Mood: Accomplished - Patches posted.
Opening Song: Lucy in the Sky - The Beatles.

Ok, I am not quite sure what to write about. Haven't thought of anything. But I *know*, I will write something and in a matter of minutes the amount of junk here is going to increase exponentially.

Yup, found my topic. Or rather topics. Bangalore night life, Diwali celebrations, and Bridge on troubled waters. Dunno which one to expand on. I feel like a third grader who has been given a set of topics to write a full page essay on, but has no clue how to begin or end. Just a few bones here and there but the full skeleton is not yet known. Archealogy. Yeah, that's what those idiots probably do. Dig out a bunch of bones and try to fit them together and give it some weird name like pithecanthropus, whatever that means.

See! I have already filled up more than ten lines without actually writing about anything concrete. It aint all that difficult to fill pages.

Ok, Bangalore night life it is....

Just a few months back, one of my collegues got mugged when she was going back home from work.The time was somewhere around 10pm at night. Which makes me ask the obvious question, what was the Bangalore Night Patrol ( I think they call it Hoysala) doing?!

Now I know. They were all on MG road and Brigade road, waiting outside the pubs to ensure that there were no "drunken brawls" or "drunken drivers" on the road.

Hmmm, that's a nice way of showing your authority. Just catch hold of some damn guy and test his breath. The probability that he will test positive for alcohol would be extremely high. Fine him a coupla thousand bucks and thy job's done!! Thou hast done thy duty. And how!

If you are thinking that I am going to talk about Mr.Adam Biddappa's innocence, stop right there.

On then contrary, I feel today's kids are given too much freedom including the freedom to shy away from the responsibility that comes along with it. Don't you think that the reason why the police does night patrolling near the pubs might be because of the past experiences of "irresponsible" behaviour by these children of freedom??

I come from a society where one is expected to "earn" freedom by proving that you are capable of handling responsibilities. But I don't like this model. Because freedom is a fundamental right, and the "guardians" of freedom can always end up being the guards thereby screwing your happiness. That's definitely not the way to go.

But that doesn't mean that we start assuming freedom comes for free either.

Yeah, I know, I know. You are thinking, WTF is this guy talking about? Neither this nor that, can't he just stick to any one thing ?

My answer would be - NO. I cannot. Because I believe that life is all about striking the right balance between conflicting goals.

So now you would wanna ask, Ok Mr.Smarty Pants, how am I supposed to strike the right balance? Hmmm, you know what, if I knew the answer to that question, I would have just coded the whole thing up, compiled it, executed it and rested in peace. I mean WHAT is the point of living if you knew the answer to that? It would be like playing Age of Empires with god mode on. What's the fun? Satisfying your stooopid ego probably!

Yeah, so my take on night life at bangalore - It won't improve unless we are ready to behave as responsible citizens.

And having said that it would be of great help if we could have more policemen patrolling on ring road. I wouldn't want to get mugged like my collegue!

PS: Its so much fun to dump your mind's snapshot :D

Closing Song: Free as a Bird - The Beatles.
Closing Mood: I am hungry. It's dinner time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really sorry about your colleague!
the city used to be a nice place with a safe nightlife... damn influx of migrants who dont have a sense of responsiblity has brought this upon us. I mean, there used to be OKTOBERFEST [yes, oktoberfest, there used to be a lot of hype about that, loads of foreigners used to turn up] with a lot of attendees and without any unfortunate happenings once with no 11:30 deadline on!
there are a lot of moneyed irresponsible people around, most of whom are not young and are not locals, who make life miserable for the locals [and everyone else] who just want to have a good time.
i mean, this is a city where loads of people return home in the early hours, if you dont have a teeming nightlife, how the heck is it gonna be safe in the night?
this kinda reminds me of nitk... keep the girls in coz the place isnt safe. but how'll the place be safe if it's lonely, desolate-looking and ill-lit?