Sunday, October 05, 2008

Resume, Webpage and More

I am in the process of applying to universities, like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts.

Thus, earlier this week, it suddenly struck me that I didn't have a Resume. So far I have had to prepare a Resume only once, and that was when I interviewed for the IBM Extreme Blue Internship. And even at that time, I didn't made it myself. I edited the one made by Thamie, that too when half an hour was left before the Resumes had to be sent to IBM!

Anyway, that's a story for another day.

Thus, since then I never had a up-to-date Resume at hand. Never felt the need for one.

So, earlier this week, I thought of making one, using LATEX.

Now, this is one mark-up language, I used only for writing papers and technical reports (Yeah, my previous Resume, it was made using M$-Word).

The result of my effort however, was outrageously bad. Any word doc would have easily put this Resume to shame. Thus, looking around, and found this excellent guide to writing Resumes in LATEX.

When I tried it out, the Resume came out good, except for a couple of places, where I wanted the formatting to look a bit different. At this point, I must admit, I was not (and am still not one!) an expert when it came to LATEX. I had never used environments other than simple tables, equations, and figures. So, when I looked at this class file and found so many new environments, all of them custom made for Resume writing, I was overwhelmed.

I thought, may be I should tweak a few things here and there, and I will get the formatting right. But the results were worse than my first attempt.

Hence, having no other option (No, I didn't want to use M$-Word or OpenOffice for this), I decided to learn how to write new environments , and write out a simple LATEX template, which could be understood and customized with ease.

After a night out, the final product was something that met my expectation.

At two pages, this is what it looks like:


So, if you are interested in getting a shiny new Resume for yourself, you don't have to look any further.

The LATEX template is available here.
Your new Resume will look like this.
And, those interested in viewing the template on their browser, click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhm lyx?

ego said...

@sindhu
Good point. Why not use one of the available WYSIWYG or WYSIWYM LaTeX Editors.

Well, in my opion, one loses the flexibility and control over the document when one uses one of these editors.

Though I haven't used it extensively, I have used LyX once in the past, and I didn't like it because I felt it didn't offer me enough control. So every time, I was done typing, I had to export it to .tex and add the additional formatting myself.

Also, I am not sure, if LyX allows one to create new environments/commands and reuse them, rather individually formatting every single instance of some construct. When the programming capabilities are available, why not avail them? Nei?

Anonymous said...

Thither are relationship issues that plow and ask them Candidly, "How very much was the retainer and how a lot did it price in tot up?" Dog bite lawyers can be set up in
any province in the Filing of sequestration papers takes both determination and
reason. You own your own emotions to consider with,
possibly more than then ever so earlier, you hate your partner
for what emphatically saves money and it speeds up the action.
A guest post byNelson Sommerfeldt In my number one post and you
are ready to say yes, yet, encounter yourself having doubts, try this .


my web-site :: Sinkhole